These images show process work for a UI Test I completed in the past. I can not include the final mock-up of the UI but I’ve included the wireframe to give an idea of the user experience. This was done for a player vs player screen. The sketches were to control what was desired out of the final screen and challenge flow as well as versions towards the final interface.
These were functionality mock-ups for a research project done for OCAD University. I can not describe in detail what the project is about but the images layout basic functionality within the project.
These were main screen variations for an app prototype completed with OCAD University. The user could collect and trade treasures with others. In the images you can see a basic progression of getting a treasure, selecting what you have and what you want, then seeing your active trades before and after placing one.
All the images were created for an employee recognition program. Certain logos were removed for copyright issues.
The following images were for the employee to select a product and schedule its delivery or pickup:
The following images were for the employee to redeem points given to them after performing successfully:
Faded Memories is the culmination of my final year thesis project from OCAD University.
Faded Memories is a first-person exploration game where you visit your grandfather in a nursing home to learn more about their past. You experience the memory from the grandfather’s eyes.
In addition to the game itself, a full written report was produced as part of the requirements of the project. It covers research, inspirations and projected paths that the game can take. I have included a link to download this report here: Faded Memories Thesis Report.
This project is close to my heart as I never got to know my grandfathers’ pasts due to them suffering from Alzheimer’s Disease. In creating and playing this game, I felt that I got to connect with them in a way I wasn’t able to when they were alive. Countless tears were shed over the game and I hope that anyone else who has dealt with a similar situation will feel open to discuss it with others.
I’m hoping to continue developing the game in the future. If you are interested in following it’s progress, let me know on Twitter.
To play the game, download a copy here:
The controls are WASD to move, mouse to look, and left mouse click to interact when prompted.
Crunch time. It is always crunch time. Juggling the writing, production and testing all at once – in addition to other commitments – is not the easiest process.
I did the first rounds of testing recently and the results were great! The game is emotionally resonant to some and that is a huge ego boost. With the testing feedback there are some changes that need to happen, but that was a given and expected.
I have restructured how much I am making and I am only focusing on a single level. There is no time for anything else so I should make it as good as I can. This also means I have to streamline the production of the level and interactions. Pathfinding was a huge problem and needs to be incorporated into this restructuring as well.
Other focus is on ambience design. Sound, mood, atmosphere, I have to make the level feel evocative. I’ve found it is in the small details that the most emotion comes through. A certain line of dialogue or a particular image stays with the player longer than the total experience.
Something I have never done before.
I have been trying to create an atmosphere that feels as though there are people in it, without there actually being people there. This has proved to be difficult as the sounds never sound right. They are realistic but some of them don’t fit or they aren’t isolated sounds (as in they have background noise) which ruins the whole atmosphere around it.
I’m going to ask some friends if they’ve done realistic sound design before so we’ll see how it goes. I hope I can find nice sounds for this and not just filler sounds.
First Memory – Childhood
The first memory has changed from what it used to be to what it is now. Not thematically but visually. I’ve made it a lot more in line with writing from my grandfather and have even included Google Map screenshots to help lay out the area based on the streets.
So far the process is going well but I need to build out the interactions more at this point. That’s a matter of programming and testing. The rest of the memory is a matter of modelling and creating.
Nursing Home Upgrade
I’ve upgraded the nursing home to being closer to what it actually should be. It is still not completely there but it’s closer. It even has the tree in the lobby!